Friday, May 7, 2010

My First Grown-up



I've been somewhat remiss in my blogging because Daren does such a great job, I just leave it to him. But recently, Daren got an office and so he isn't doing work at home where i can convince him to up-date the blog. So, the delightful task falls to me (I am a writer after all).

After our wonderful safari with our friends, Kim and Buck, we all spent a day in Mombasa before they caught a plane to Nairobi and flew back to the U.S. Kim had wanted to get henna from my teacher while we were in Lamu, but we never seemed to find the right time. So, the night before she flew back, I tightened my belt, spat in my palms and set to work.

Let me just say, I may have been terrified. I'd been applying henna on kids in my neighborhood, but to actually do henna on someone that cared? But, turned out Kim didn't care. She told me to just slap some on. I'm glad she was my first grown-up, she was easy to please which took all the fear out of doing it. I had a blast!

Here are the photos. I did way simplified henna, more like mzungu (tourist) henna with it only on the hands and feet instead of all the way up the arms and legs. 





1 comment:

  1. It was beautiful work and Kim had fun showing it off when she got home. In that way it worked out well that it was the day before we left, otherwise it would have faded before she got back to the States.

    The designs may have been simple but they were delightful. I spent a lot of time staring at them on our way home.

    ReplyDelete