Friday, March 26, 2010

On the Road Again


Well, our time in Lamu has come to an end. Its been a wonderful two months full of people and memories I will always cherish. I thought it fitting to pay homage to some of the little things I love about Lamu and make it such a unique place by sharing some of them with you. Enjoy!
Green coconuts. The vendors chop the top off the coconut and hand it to you to drink. There's nothing like fresh coconut water on a hot day
People who sell weird combinations of things, like this woman; homemade snuff, honey and detergent. Mmm!

Riyadha Mosque. Not only do I love the architecture, but this is where all the good parties were at celebrating the prophet Muhammed's birth. Good times!


Random Donkeys.


Building sand castles with Daren. We were inspired by the "castle" shown in the background. (note the random donkeys)


Kayaking around Lamu in the mangroves


Modeling my teacher's heena design for the annual heena competition and winning! The judges loved the peacock.

The view from our balcony at high tide.


Lamu town's skinny alleys.


The chicken ladies who sit around and watch their chickens lay eggs. when they say fresh eggs for sale, they mean fresh! They also don't mind sending you home with a very live chicken you can slaughter for dinner. One woman offered to give me a good deal on a particularily scrawny looking hen; I declined.


Big, fresh samaki (fish)!


Grain markets. I loved seeing baskets and baskets of colorful grains, half of which I had never seen before! My fave new legume is pigeon peas.



And of course, sharing it all with Daren.












No comments:

Post a Comment